As the Transgender Day of Remembrance draws closer, the trans community and its allies have already planned several events throughout the United States commemorating the day. While TDOR is celebrated on November 20th each year, events are also held in the days preceding or following this date.
Here are a few events happening this year in honor of Transgender Day of Remembrance.
Trans Week of Celebration – Phoenix, AZ
If you’re in Arizona, you’ve got to check out the celebrations taking place in Phoenix from November 15th (Friday) to November 19th (Tuesday). During these 5 nights of fun and frolic, Equality Arizona will be honoring the lives of the trans community and commemorating the strength, resilience, and beauty that exists within it. These celebrations are the perfect way to lead up to the Transgender Day of Remembrance falling on Wednesday.
The event includes the following activities:
- Spinster Sisters Cinema: Screening of the documentary “Out In Arizona” by Michael Soto on November 15th(6 pm – 10 pm)
- Gender Affirming Clothing Exchange:A chance for our trans brothers and sisters to find some amazing outfits, get makeup tutorials, and watch trans drag performances on November 16th (4pm – 10pm)
- Trans Poetry Slam:Poetry recitals by members of the trans community on November 17th (7pm – 9pm)
- LGBTQ+ Trivia & Game Night:Hosted by Hector Gonzalez, this will feature several fun-filled activities during the game night taking place on November 18th (7pm – 9pm)
- Vinyl Voices (Special Edition):An evening of storytelling and record sharing on November 19th (7pm – 9pm)
Third Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance Vigil – Rehoboth Beach, DE
The Rehoboth TransLiance will be collaborating with Metropolitan Community Church Of Rehoboth and Safe Harbor United Church of Christ and the Metropolitan Community Church Of Rehoboth to organize its 3rd annual vigil. Prayers will be led by Reverend Chet Carbaugh UCC and Reverend Diane Fisher MCC, after which there will be a name reading event. Transgender individuals who have lost their lives due to hatred and prejudice based violence will be honored during this.
The candle lighting and name reading event will also pay respect to the struggles of Trans women of color, who have been the most targeted victims this year. The vigil will be held on November 20th between 7pm and 9pm.
Transgender Day of Remembrance Vigil – Watsonville, CA
Residents of Watsonville can commemorate Transgender Day of Remembrance on Sunday, November 24th, at the vigil being organized at the Watsonville Plaza. The event will commence at 5pm and end at 7 pm, celebrating and honoring the lives of members of the transgender community who’ve been victims of violence and discrimination.
Along with a candle-lit vigil, there will also be a spoken word event followed by a reading of names. The vigil will also be celebrating the lives of those still with us while simultaneously giving the community a safe space to grieve at.
Other Events to Watch Out For:
- Transgender Day of Remembrance: Boston Community Gathering
Sun, Nov 17, 5 – 8 PM
138 Tremont St, Boston, MA
- Tuesday Talk – Let’s Talk About TDOR
Tue, Nov 19, 5 – 6 PM PST
Costo Hall, Riverside, CA
- NYC Transgender Day of Remembrance
Wed, Nov 20, 8:30 – 10:00 PM
St Bartholomew’s Church, New York, NY
- Transgender Day of Remembrance Memorial Luncheon
Wed, Nov 20, 12:00 – 1:30 PM
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- TDOR Action: #HireTransNOW
Wed, Nov 20, 12:00 AM – 11:30 PM CST
Chicago Therapy Collective, Chicago, IL
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Wed, Nov 20, 7:30 PM
PNC Arena, Raleigh, NC
- Transgender Day of Remembrance
Wed, Nov 20, 6 – 9 PM PST
San Diego LGBT Community Center, San Diego, CA
- TDoR – Transgender Day of Remembrance
Wed, Nov 20, 7 – 9 PM PST
Taqueria San Jose, San Francisco, CA
- Orlando Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR)
Wed, Nov 20, 2:00 – 9:45 PM
Valencia College East Campus, Orlando, FL
- Transgender Day of Remembrance Luncheon
Wed, Nov 20, 12 – 2 PM
CIC Miami, Miami, FL
- Transgender Day of Remembrance Observance (TDOR)
Wed, Nov 20, 6:30 – 8:30 PM MST
University Center, Colorado Springs, CO
- Transgender Day of Remembrance Vigil
Wed, Nov 20, 6:15 – 9:00 PM
Atlanta City Hall, Atlanta, GA
- Transgender Day of Remembrance Candlelight Vigil
Thu, Nov 21, 12 – 1 AM
Herrick District Library, Holland, MI
- Weathering the Storm: A TDOR Panel Discussion
Thu, Nov 21, 7 – 9 PM
LGBT Network Queens LGBT Center, Long Island City, NY
To learn more about the events happening near your area to honor Transgender Day of Remembrance, use our LGBTQ friendly business directory. In addition to providing LGBTQ resources, Trans Central Station also has an up-and-running e-commerce store where we offer exciting new merchandise online.
Drop us a message to get in touch with our team!